first off I just want to congratulate you on your new album. To
new fans could your please fill us in on the history behind it
Thanks, the band was founded in spring 2001 after the band we had
previously, Phoenix Rizing split up. We changed the singer and
band name. Recorded the debut autumn/winter 2002, and recorded
this last autumn/winter.
has your new album been received by the media?
- The reviews so far have been very good. It seems that most think
itís even better than the debut, which pleases me to hear.
know artists donĻt like to put a label on their music - but a
spaceship from outer space has just landed in your backyard, and
is demanding an answer - so how would you describe your music to
an alien from another galaxy?
- That would be impossible as he wouldnít understand a word I
say anyway! :)
your music was an emotion, which one would it be?
- Hmmm, hard one. Our music is heavy but very diverse with
different moods so I canít pick one.
and what inspires you when you write a song? Walk us through the
creation of a song?
- I usually just come up with an idea when I least expect it.
Fortunately, most of them Iíve been able to write or record
before I forget them. When we write, itís usually I, Lars or Jan
Thore who has the ideas and the rest help arrange them into songs.
Which subjects do your lyrics
refer to, and who writes them? And
what inspires you when you write your lyrics?
- I didnít write any lyrics for this album so Iím not the
person to ask. I did write a couple on the debut, one to my wife
to be and one about and against religion! :)
has produced and mixed the album? Are you pleased with the result?
- We recorded the album ourselves, but Hugo Alvarstein mixed it
and should be mentioned as co producer as he did a lot for the
sound of the final product. Yes, weíre very pleased with how it
has done the artwork? And how important do you feel it is to have
a great cover?
- Mark Wilkinson has once again exceeded our expectations with his
artwork. Itís a dream come true for me to have him doing our
album artwork being a major Marillion fan! :)
great album cover is very important for the first impression.
you have any touring plans?
- No not as yet, only touring
, but weíd love to play outside given the chance.
speculate - you have been granted a free slot on a tour of your
own choice - who would be your ideal touring partners?
- Iron Maiden or Running Wild.
do you feel about the co-operation with your label?
- Canít really say they have done anything for us apart from
releasing the albums.
internet is a very important source for many metal fans - how do
you use the internet and how important is it for you and other
- The internet is important because it gives people the
opportunity of discovering and checking out new bands. The
downside is that some people unfortunately just download stuff,
but I do hope the real music fans still buy what they feel is good
how do you feel about the metal scene in general at the moment?
- I feel the metal scene is very good, always new good bands
Which song do you consider to
be the best one you have ever written?
- Hmmm, again hard to pick just one but I guess Iím absolutely
most satisfied with "Demon of Damnation", as I think we
captured what we visualized in our head perfectly.
an album, person or event that has had a huge influence on your
life Ö and why?
- When I discovered Iron Maiden, Marillion and Running Wild, those
are my all time fave bands, my life wouldnít be the same without
them, nor as a musician. Meeting my wife and having my two kids is
the absolute highlight of my life though! Nothing beats giving
birth, be it to a child or an album!:)
music do you listen to at home?
- Melodic metal, progressive rock and some pop music.
has had a small comeback lately - do you still prefer ďthe old
soundĒ or are you a CD/DVD kind of guy?
- I have a big collection of vinyl but mostly as collectibles, I
listen to CD's as they are the most practical format basically!
question - do you have any famous last words for our readers?
- I wish to send a greeting to all of you passionate about metal
out there, hope you will check out our albums! Cheers and take
the best, Jack - Highland Glory